Professor Laureate, CSU College of Natural Sciences, 2019
Ph.D., Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1999
Editor, Physics Letters A, 2016 – present.
Editor, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2019 – present
Chair, Technical Committee of IEEE Magnetics Society, 2019 – present
Magnetization Dynamics and Spintronics
The Magnetization Dynamics and Spintronics group is interested in many topics in magnetism and magnetic materials. The current research areas include ferromagnetic resonance, magnetic damping, spin wave envelope solitons, chaotic spin waves, spin pumping, spin-orbit torques, and topological insulators. The group is currently supported by the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Energy , and magnetic recording industry. Inquiries are welcome from graduate and undergraduate students with an interest in magnetics, recently graduated Ph.D. scientists interested in post-doctoral fellow appointments, and senior scientists interested in visiting appointments.
Contact Information: Professor Mingzhong Wu, Department of Physics, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA; Phone: (970) 491-6312; Fax: (970) 491-7947; E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hanchen Wang, Jilei Chen, Tao Liu, Jianyu Zhang, Korbinian Baumgaertl, Chenyang Guo, Yuehui Li, Chuanpu Liu, Ping Che, Sa Tu, Song Liu, Peng Gao, Xiufeng Han, Dapeng Yu, Mingzhong Wu, Dirk Grundler, and Haiming Yu, “Chiral spin-wave velocities induced by all-garnet interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in ultrathin yttrium iron garnet films,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 027203 (2020).
- Peng Li, James Kally, Steven S.-L. Zhang, Timothy Pillsbury, Jinjun Ding, Gyorgy Csaba, Junjia Ding, Sam Jiang, Yunzhi Liu, Robert Sinclair, Chong Bi, August DeMann, Gaurab Rimal, Wei Zhang, Stuart B. Field, Jinke Tang, Weigang Wang, Olle G. Heinonen, Valentine Novosad, Axel Hoffmann, Nitin Samarth, and Mingzhong Wu, “Magnetization switching utilizing topological surface states,” Sci. Adv. 5, eaaw3415 (2019).
- Daniel Richardson, Boris A. Kalinikos, Lincoln D. Carr, and Mingzhong Wu, “Spontaneous exact spin-wave fractals in magnonic crystals,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 107204 (2018).
- Tao Liu, Yufan Li, Lei Gu, Junjia Ding, Houchen Chang, P. A. Praveen Janantha, Boris Kalinikos, Valentyn Novosad, Axel Hoffmann, Ruqian Wu, C. L. Chien, and Mingzhong Wu, “Nontrivial nature and penetration depth of topological surface states in SmB6 thin films” Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 207206 (2018).
- Jilei Chen, Chuanpu Liu, Tao Liu, Yang Xiao, Ke Xia, Gerrit E. W. Bauer, Mingzhong Wu, and Haiming Yu, “Strong interlayer magnon-magnon coupling in magnetic metal-insulator hybrid nanostructures,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 217202 (2018).
- Chuanpu Liu, Jilei Chen, Tao Liu, Florian Heimbach, Haiming Yu, Yang Xiao, Junfeng Hu, Mengchao Liu, Houchen Chang, Tobias Stueckler, Sa Tu, Youguang Zhang, Yan Zhang, Peng Gao, Zhimin Liao, Dapeng Yu, Ke Xia, Na Lei, Weisheng Zhao, and Mingzhong Wu, “Long-distance propagation of short-wavelength spin waves,” Nature Communications 9, 738 (2018); doi:10.1038/s41467-018-03199-8
- P. A. Praveen Janantha, Patrick Sprenger, Mark A. Hoefer, and Mingzhong Wu, “Observation of self-cavitating envelope dispersive shock waves in yttrium iron garnet thin films,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 024101 (2017).
- Christopher Safranski, Igor Barsukov, Han Kyu Lee, Tobias Schneider, Alejandro Jara, Andrew Smith, Houchen Chang, Kilian Lenz, Jürgen Lindner, Yaroslav Tserkovnyak, Mingzhong Wu, and Ilya Krivorotov, “Spin caloritronic nano-oscillator,” Nature Communications, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-00184-5 (2017).
- Devin Wesenberg, Tao Liu, Davor Balzar, Mingzhong Wu, and Barry L. Zink, “Long-distance spin transport in a disordered magnetic insulator,” Nature Physics, DOI: 10.1038/NPHYS4175 (2017).
- Peng Li, Tao Liu, Houchen Chang, Alan Kalitsov, Wei Zhang, Gyorgy Csaba, Wei Li, Daniel Richardson, August Demann, Gaurab Rimal, Himadri Dey, J. S. Jiang, Wolfgang Porod, Stuart Field, Jinke Tang, Mario C Marconi, Axel Hoffmann, Oleg Mryasov, and Mingzhong Wu, “Spin-orbit torque-assisted switching in magnetic insulator thin films with perpendicular magnetic anisotropy,” Nature Communications 7:12688 doi: 10.1038/ncomms12688 (2016).
- Hailong Wang, James Kally, Joon Sue Lee, Tao Liu, Houchen Chang, Danielle Reifsnyder Hickey, K. Andre Mkhoyan, Mingzhong Wu, Anthony Richardella, and Nitin Samarth, “Surface-state-dominated spin-charge current conversion in topological-insulator–ferromagnetic-insulator heterostructures,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 076601 (2016).
- David Ellsworth, Lei Lu, Jin Lan, Houchen Chang, Peng Li, Zhe Wang, Jun Hu, Bryan Johnson, Yuqi Bian, Jiang Xiao, Ruqian Wu, and Mingzhong Wu, “Photo-spin-voltaic effect,” Nature Physics, doi:10.1038/nphys3738 (2016).
- M. B. Jungfleisch, W. Zhang, J. Sklenar, J. Ding, W. Jiang, H. Chang, F. Y. Fradin, J. E. Pearson, J. B. Ketterson, V. Novosad, M. Wu, and A. Hoffmann, “Large spin-wave bullet in a ferrimagnetic insulator driven by the spin Hall effect,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 057601 (2016).
- Yiyan Sun, Houchen Chang, Michael Kabatek, Young-Yeal Song, Zihui Wang, Michael Jantz, William Schneider, Mingzhong Wu, E. Montoya, B. Kardasz, B. Heinrich, Suzanne G. E. te Velthuis, Helmut Schultheiss, and Axel Hoffmann,”Damping in yttrium iron garnet nanoscale films capped by platinum,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 106601 (2013).
- L. Lu, Y. Sun, M. Jantz, and M. Wu, “Control of ferromagnetic relaxation in magnetic thin films through thermally induced interfacial spin transfer,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 257202 (2012).
- Z. Wang, A. Hagerstrom, J. Q. Anderson, W. Tong, M. Wu, L. D. Carr, R. Eykholt, and B. Kalinikos, “Chaotic spin-wave solitons in magnetic film feedback rings,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 114102 (2011).
- B. Heinrich, C. Burrowes, E. Montoya, B. Kardasz, E. Girt, Y. Song, Y. Sun, and M. Wu, “Spin pumping at magnetic insulator (YIG)/normal metal (Au) interfaces,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 066604 (2011).
- Z. Wang, Y. Sun, M. Wu, V. Tiberkevich, and A. Slavin, “Control of spin waves in a thin film ferromagnetic insulator through interfacial spin scattering,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 146602 (2011).
- W. Tong, M. Wu, L. D. Carr, and B. A. Kalinikos , “Formation of random dark envelope solitons from incoherent waves,” Phys. Rev. Lett.104, 037207 (2010).
- M. Wu, A. M. Hagerstrom, R. Eykholt, A. Kondrashov, and B. A. Kalinikos, “Excitation of chaotic spin waves through modulational instability,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 237203 (2009).
- A. M. Hagerstrom, W. Tong, M. Wu, B. A. Kalinikos, and R. Eykholt , “Excitation of chaotic spin waves in magnetic film feedback rings through three-wave nonlinear interactions,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 207202 (2009).
- M. Wu and B. A. Kanilikos, “Coupled Modulational instability of co-propagating spin waves in magnetic thin films,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 027206 (2008).
- M. Wu and C. E. Patton, “Experimental observation of Fermi-Pasta-Ulam recurrence in a nonlinear feedback ring system,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 047202 (2007).
- M. Wu, P. Krivosik, B. A. Kalinikos, and C. E. Patton, “Random generation of coherent solitary waves from incoherent waves,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 227202 (2006).
- M. Wu, B. A. Kalinikos, L. D. Carr, and C. E. Patton, “Observation of spin wave soliton fractals in magnetic film active feedback rings,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 187202 (2006).
- M. Wu, B. A. Kalinikos, and C. E. Patton, “Self-generation of chaotic solitary spin wave pulses in magnetic film active feedback rings,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 237202 (2005).
- M. Wu, B. A. Kalinikos, and C. E. Patton, “Generation of dark and bright spin wave envelope soliton trains through self-modulational instability in magnetic films,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 157207 (2004).