The Department of Physics has a staffed machine shop for use by faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduate research assistants for work on projects relating to research. Jeff Breitschopf is the machine shop manager and he is available for consultations. This facility is available for use by personnel across campus for research related projects.
Machines Available and Services Offered
- CNC (Computer Numerical Control) Mill and CNC Lathe
- Conventional Mills
- Conventional Lathes
- Drill Presses
- MIG (Metal Inert Gas) Welder
- Sheet Metal Fabrication Equipment
- Band Saws (vertical and horizontal)
- Sand Blaster
- 2′ x 3′ precision granite table
- Mechanical design and mechanical troubleshooting
Standard machine shop hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm. Monday through Friday. The buddy system is strictly enforced and no work can be done without supervision.
The Physics Machine Shop Manager is Jeff Breitschopf. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 970-491-4130.
The machine shop is located in the Glover building, room 136. Access is only from the outside of the building.
- The buddy system is strictly required. No one is allowed to work in the machine shop without another person present.
- Everyone must sign in and sign out when they use the shop.
- Anyone new to the shop must be trained on the equipment and must also go through safety training.
- Please review the safety manual and print it before you arrive to the shop.
- Machine shop manager standard shop rate: $60.75/hourly
- CNC use: additional $11.55/hourly
- Approved student shop use: $10.85/hourly
- Free Consultations on projects to be machined in the shop