The Department of Physics has a staffed machine shop for use by faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduate research assistants for work on projects relating to research. Jeff Breitschopf is the machine shop manager and he is available for consultations. This facility is available for use by personnel across campus for research related projects.
Opportunities for technical machine shop work from off-campus entities are possible, please contact the machine shop manager.
Machines Available and Services Offered
- CNC (Computer Numerical Control) Mill and CNC Lathe
- Conventional Mills
- Conventional Lathes
- Drill Presses
- MIG (Metal Inert Gas) Welder
- Sheet Metal Fabrication Equipment
- Band Saws (vertical and horizontal)
- Sand Blaster
- 2′ x 3′ precision granite table
- Mechanical design and mechanical troubleshooting
- The buddy system is strictly required. No one is allowed to work in the machine shop without another person present.
- Everyone must sign in and sign out when they use the shop.
- Anyone new to the shop must be trained on the equipment and must also go through safety training.
- Please review the safety manual and print it before you arrive to the shop.
Weekdays 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Shop Manager: Jeff Breitschopf
451 Isotope Drive
- Standard shop rate: $60.75/hourly
- CNC use: additional $11.55/hourly
- Approved student shop use: $10.85/hourly
- Free Consultations